Before you learn how to draw a flag, did you know?
- The Filipino flag is flown with the red stripe up in times of war and blue stripe up in times of peace.
- The nylon American flag planted on the moon during Apollo 11 cost $5.50, was knocked over by exhaust from the Lunar Module’s ascent, and is likely to have disintegrated by four decades of heat, UV rays and radiation.
- “Backwards American flags” on airplanes and military uniforms are worn with the stars in front to “give the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.”
- The first Olympic flag went missing for 77 years after the 1920 games until a 1920 olympian revealed he’d had it in his suitcase the whole time.
- During truce talks between North and South Korea, both parties would try to bring a bigger national flag than the other to each meeting. This went on until a special meeting was called to address the size of the flags, as they could no longer fit in the room.
- Lichtenstein and Haiti developed identical national flags independently of each other. No one realized until the two countries competed against each other in the 1936 Summer Olympics under the same flag.
- In 1906, an Irish Olympic silver medalist Peter O Connor climbed a 20 foot flag pole and waved the Irish flag when made to compete for Britain, all while Irish and Irish-American athletes fought off guards at the end of the pole.
- According the Flag Code, the American Flag should never be used for advertisement purposes in any manner whatsoever.\
- Hawaii’s state flag features the Union Jack (Flag of the UK) and is the only US State flag to do so.16. The boy scouts burn the most US flags in the World, as it is actually the most respected way of disposing of a Flag.
- In Denmark, it is illegal to burn foreign flags, but not illegal to burn the Danish flag.
- Denmark’s flag is the oldest flag currently in use, designed in 1219 and unchanged since.
- The flags of Australia and New Zealand are so similar, the Prime Minister of Australia was greeted with the flag of New Zealand on a state visit to Canada in 1984.
- There was about a 15 year period in which the flag of France was just a white flag.
Now go ahead and learn how to draw a flag for yourself by following the simple steps in this video. If you think your drawing turned out awesome, please send it to me so I can post it on this site. Click here to go to the ‘share your drawing’ page.